Catamaran vs Monohull
The question is, what is the optimal solution for sea voyages, a catamaran or a monohull? The choice should stop on a more appropriate option concerning circumstances and ambitions. The question is really important, because in addition to preferences, reliability and comfort play a role. That is why, today, in the maritime tourism market, these boats fight among themselves.
Stability on the water is the main criterion. The design of the catamarans allows you to sail confidently on the water, and for this reason, it is the best choice for beginner yachtsmen. But such stability is not appreciated by lovers of extreme sports. They are more like yachts, which lean more than 5 degrees. On such boats there is more chance to get sea sick, which can not be said about catamarans.
Monohulls have bigger draft than catamarans. The advantage os bigger drat is that a chance to capsize or turn over is very small, but a minus is that is more dangerous to get into shallow water areas and risk to run aground. Catamarans can reach more beautiful bays where the water is more shallow and clear, so it is nicer to swimm.
Catamarans are quite wide. Due to this, they got a name “house on water”. Comfort, home comfort, spacious decks, a large kitchen, a huge cabin and modern cabins – make it much more roomy. A same size monohull can accommodate less people, cabins and deck area are less comfortable.
Sailing catamarans are very popular in the maritime tourism market, because of undeniable safety. They are modeled in such a way that the stability comes to the first place. Having wide dimensions, the catamaran confidently sail and stand on the water.
- Catamaran badly cuts the waves, so in the Mediterranean sea it is very rocky on the water. But in the ocean environment, it sails ideally. Yachts are exactly the opposite.
- Sea sickness is less common on a catamaran, than on a monohull
- Yachts have better visibility than catamarans
- Yacht is more convenient to dock in a port. Because of its width, the catamaran loses in this matter.
- Yachts are more versatile in use. Family holidays, active tourism, water sports or a sailing race.
- Catamarans are suitable for sailing in shallow water. They can disover any mysterious island.