Types of two-masted ships
The mast is a design that stands on the ship vertically and is supported by the guys. It is a component of sailing equipment of yachts and ships (sailboats). Distinguish ship with squared and triangualr types of sails. There are the following ships with triangular sails:
- Yawl is a relatively small two-masted vessel with triangular sails.
- Brigantine – Two-masted vessel with an triangular sail.
- Ketch – a sailing ship with two masts with triangular sails.
Types of two-mast sailing ship with triangular sails
- Yawl is an oblique type of sailing boat. Thus, a two-masted vessel is equipped with a mainmast in the front of the ship and a mizzen mast, which is located in the rear part of the ship. The area of the bison from the general sailing rig of the ship is equal to 8-10%. Until a certain time, this type of ship was used in the North Sea, and it was not necessarily equipped with a yawl.
- Ketch – a type of two-masted sailboat. This type of vessel also has a mainmast and a mizzen mast. On the question of how to distinguish an Iol from a ketch, the answer is easy enough. At the ketch the head of the rudder ball is behind the mizzen mast. If the ship is armed with a ketchum, the area of the rear mast should not be less than 15% of the area of the ship. The same name is worn by a sailing vessel, which since the 19th century began to be armed with ketch. By certain features, the name is added to the characteristic, for example, the Baltic Ketch.
- Brigantine – A two-masted ship that is armed with mixed sailing rigs, that is, on the front part of the ship there are squared sails, and on the back – triangular. It is interesting that from the very beginning the brigantines were set in motion with the help of oars. In the 16-19 centuries two-masted sailing ships were used by pirates and robbers, hence the name – the brigantine, translated from Italian, means “pirate”. Brigantine is armed with no less than twenty guns.
What are the masts of a sailing two-mast ship like
In ancient times masts were made from solid wood, which was installed as a pillar and attached to the nest of the deck. The masts were supported by stretch marks – stands and cables.
It’s natural that with the increase in the number of sails the mast should be more complexed. So, at the time of the invention of the engine, it began to look like a tripod, an openwork or hollow tower made of metal. It is important to know that the top of the mast is called the top, and the bottom is called the spur. The part connecting the mast to the base of the ship was called the lower mast. Because the ancient masts were made from a whole tree trunk, they were called masts as single-tree masts.
To build a mast, often used fir, pine, and other resinous wood. Preference was given precisely to these breeds due to their lightness.
Of course, today the tree is no longer used to build a mast on sailboats (including sailing yachts). The same lightweight but artificial materials are used. For example, plastics, metals with hollow construction, etc.
Starting to deal with the shipping business, you should pay attention to a number of factors. Initially, you need to turn to the naval dictionary, because even if you go with the captain, you will want to understand the commands he gives. So, in the first stages of this will be enough. If you rent a yacht for a party or a romantic walk, remember that in case of disaster, navigation knowledge will also be useful.