What lines are needed for a boat
Lines, ropes and sheets are very relevant for people who are engaged in extreme sports, and can’t imagine their lives without the sea. Small sailing vessels that are equipped with numerous lines that must be strong, reliable, durable.
Previously, the ship used only natural lines and ropes, but thanks to modern technologies, synthetic ropes with different properties and capabilities came to replace them.
What are the boat lines made of
There are many different lines, ropes and sheets. At the current stage, only two large groups of materials are used to make all the boat’s lines:
- High-quality lines that have a low price. Such products include polyester, polypropylene, nylon. They are used on small yachts, cruise ships.
- These lines, ropes, which have super strength properties, can withstand very high loads. Most often they are used in regattas, yachts, which take part in competitions. Aramid fibers are used in such gears.
To each specific group of lines put forward their own requirements, and also these lines, should have their own properties.
Types of lines and requirements for them
- Lines for lifting anchor. Most often such a line is called in the marine language of the anchor rode. Line should be very durable, not sink in water, this will allow in cases if it was not fixed to get it out of the water. An important detail, such a line should not be twisted, and it should not have the maximum rigidity.
- A line for controling sails in the marine language is called sheet. Such gear for sailing must have great strength, be soft, while it is easy to fold and fasten on the stopper. In this case, more often such lines are made in a special braid, which helps outwardly remain rough and do not lose the flexibility.
- For lines for controling sails can be found another name: rigging – serves to control the sail and its parts. Such lines have the best properties, they do not absorb moisture, and are also not susceptible to the sunlight – Do not absorb ultraviolet. Such lines and ropes are very soft, easily stretch, but very durable.
Floating lines for sailing yachts
The most demanded type of lines on a yacht are the floating lines. It is also used for mooring, for loading cargo, anchoring.
The basic requirements for such a line:
- does not absorb moisture;
- does not absorb UV
Such lines on sailboats are increasingly being used, and they can also be used to help a sinking person. Due to the positive properties of such a rope, it does not sink, which means it always remains visible on the water surface.
It should be remembered that all the lines on your yacht are most often devided by their purpose:
- halyard lines;
- docking lines;
Our company specializes in chrtering yachts in Croatia. In a complete set with a yacht, the high standard lines sre also mandatory, which are made of heavy-duty synthetic material.