What to do if stranded
One of the most negative consequences due to the failure of the navigation is going aground. Less often this is due to poor visibility. Also, run aground, is possible by the fault of captain of a yacht at a careless approach to the shore. In the same way, slow decision-making will entail a number of negative aspects for the yacht.
How to prevent stranding
- If visibility is poor, it is necessary to use an echo sounder or radar, if there is one on board the yacht.
- In the midst of a storm, avoid sailing near a coast.
- Use the maximum number of devices to determine the location of the yacht: navigator, radio direction, hydrophone or use astronomical methods.
- Always take into account the power of drift and flow.
- Take into account an error of a compass and navigator.
- As often as possible control a steering wheel and constantly refine the set course.
- With the help of mechanical or electrical lag records, record speed and acceleration.
- Compare the given course with the navigator with the map. If an error is detected for a given course, you must immediately take action.
- If there is a threat to the vessel because of its position, it is necessary to take measures independently and at the same time inform the coast guard about the danger.
Sailing in shallow waters
- It may also be that a captain of a yacht will have to make a complex maneuver, namely, go through shallow water passage. In this case, you must follow these rules:
- Measure the depth of water as often as possible.
- Sail in a low speed
- By the color of the water control the presence of shallow places. Shallow water will have a lighter tone of water, compared to deep places.
- If there is a tender boat on board, send it ahead of the yacht.
Measures to move a boat from a strand
If the vessel has run aground, the main thing is not to take hasty decisions. Inherits to back up until it is possible to determine the damage caused to the yacht from rocks and reefs. To begin with, you need to determine which part of the vessel you picked up the bottom. Because of running aground, holes are formed in the bottom of the vessel. The lack of water inside the yacht indicates that there is no mechanical damage. The amount of incoming water will indicate the severity of the failure. When establishing the presence of a hole, the yacht should not be lowered from the shallows until the hole is removed.
When landing on a strand a ship managed to avoid holes, it means that you can start off with a shallow shoal. For this it is necessary to determine the ebb and flow of the sea. If the water level decreases, measures should be taken to remove the vessel:
- Pump out the ballast.
- Remove all depth measurements around the yacht.
This will give an understanding of where to move the ship to get off the canvas.
If in shallow water it was not possible to continue, then it is necessary to wait for the water level to rise and do the same steps.
The most dangerous situation is considered to be re-entry into reefs and rocks with waves or a strong gusty wind. In this case, you need to anchor to fix the position of the yacht.
Landing on sandy strand
A big threat when landing on the sandy soil for a yacht is the clogging of a kingston and a refrigerator. To remove the vessel from such a collision, it is necessary to wash the soil from under the bottom.